Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas Treats, Part XI

Hubby just took the kids shopping for my B'day/C'mas gifts.
Ahhhhh....silence.  Goodness, I love my kids dearly.
But a little time alone is just....well....treasured. ;-)
It's been a super-crazy-busy week, and I'm grateful for the break.

Here's the next idea for you...
Day 11
Homemade Bath Salts

















I apologize for the pic...it distorted the color of the tissue on top...just a fraction.  IRL, it looks more white! lol

ANYWAYS....
I've been wanting to try out the idea of homemade bath salts for some time now.  So....today I finally did (sans kiddos standing right at my elbow, asking me what I'm doing). ;0)

I wish I could give you a recipe, but as my mom would say (and things turn out fantastic), "I just kind of threw it together!" 

Ingredients:
Epsom Salts, Sweet Almond Essential Oil, Peppermint extract, Red food coloring

I've researched...and there are many different recipes out there. Some say add a drop or two of glycerin.  Some say to add baking soda, and yet others: oatmeal! :)

Almond oil is supposed to be one of the best oils out there...however, I wish I had known that it doesn't smell "almondy". ;0)

The only scents I had were rum, almond, butter, and mint - ha ha ha!!  The almond was waaaay too "almondy", and I didn't think rum or butter would be quite what somone would want to smell like after a luxurious bath, so I chose Mint. ;-)

I added some red food coloring (which I read is A-ok).....
Think of all the possibilities!!!  There are more essential oils that you could try....Lavender, Grapefruit, etc...add color or leave it white....

EDITED TO ADD:  Forgot to mention!!  I *knew* I was keeping all those baby food jars for a reason! lol!  (the size used here is the smaller size - 1st foods?)

The Small Print (All Stampin' Up!):
In addition to "recipe" items listed above
Stamps: Christmas Punch
Cardstock: Whisper White
Ink: Riding Hood Red (retired)
Accessories: Riding Hood Red taffeta ribbon (retired), Scallop oval punch


Thanks for stopping by, and have a GREAT day! :)
Crystal

2 comments:

Go ahead...make my day! :)